The men and women that defend the land of the free and the home of the brave are honored each year by San Diego’s Fleet Week military tribute. This year’s roster of events includes festivities exclusively for the military, as well as some spectacular events open to the public that members of the community will not want to miss.
The Fleet Week Sea & Air Parade is soaring back into San Diego with great fanfare as we prepare to experience the best of the U.S. military on display and in action on September 10, 2016. The parade will run the length of San Diego Bay, beginning at Shelter Island with viewing areas all along the bay front, from noon until 2:00 pm.
For the first time since 2008, amphibious ships, destroyers, Marine counter measure ships, submarines and ships from the Coast Guard and Canadian Navy will participate. In addition there will be amphibious landing craft and demonstrations of SEAL capabilities, Coast Guard Search and Rescue, and fly-overs of Navy aircraft and the rarely seen Marine F-35 fighter jet.
Many more activities are scheduled to accompany the Sea & Air Parade. On September 10 and 11, the Broadway and B Street Piers will host a Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Fair, ship tours, live music, food, static displays and kids zone from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Ship tours will be open from September 10-14, also from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Broadway and B Street Piers.
To kick it all off, Fleet Week is hosting a Party at the Pier on Friday, September 9 at 4:30 pm featuring live music, food trucks and a beer garden at B Street Pier.
The Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival, a.k.a “The Race at the Base,” promises a full weekend of high-octane activities and family fun, September 17-18. Grand Marshal Gary Sinise & the Lt. Dan Band will perform in concert Saturday at noon—FREE with admission. All are invited as NASNI throws its gates open wide – an unprecedented opportunity to visit a working U.S. Navy base. Coronado Speed Festival features roaring auto races on a live U.S. Navy runway, flyovers, military displays and family fun for all ages. Military admission and children ages 12 and under are FREE.
As always, these events are hosted at little or no cost to the military families they honor, thanks to the financial support of the Foundation’s corporate sponsors and the commitment of our many dedicated volunteers. Members of the U.S. military are the primary honorees of these events but the local community is welcome and invited to enjoy many of these activities:
- Fleet Week Overboard Concert: Friday, September 2, Doors Open 7:00 pm, House of Blues
- Military Family Tailgate: Saturday, September 3, 3:00-4:30 pm, Qualcomm Stadium
- Fleet Week Golf Tournament: Friday, September 9, 11:00 am – Admiral Baker Golf Course
- Party on the Pier: Friday, September 9, 4:30 pm, B Street Pier
- Fleet Week Sea & Air Parade: Saturday, September 10, 12:00-2:00 pm – San Diego Bay
- Ship Tours: September 10-14, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm – Broadway Pier
- STEM Fair: Saturday-Sunday, September 10-11, 10:00 am-4:00 pm – Broadway Pier
- Fleet Week Football Classic: Saturday, September 10, 7:30 pm – Qualcomm Stadium
- Fleet Week Foundation/SDMAC Breakfast: Wednesday, September 14 – Admiral Kidd Conference Center
- Enlisted Recognition Luncheon: Thursday, September 15, 11:45 am-1:30 pm – Sea World San Diego
- Coronado Speed Festival Car Procession: Thursday, September 15, 4:30 pm – Rotary Park, Coronado
- Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival: Saturday & Sunday, September 17-18 – Naval Air Station North Island
- MCAS Miramar Air Show: Friday-Sunday, September 23-25, Gates open 8:00 am daily – MCAS Miramar
- MCRD Boot Camp Challenge: Saturday, October 1, 9:00 am – MCRD San Diego
- Cabrillo Festival: Saturday, October 1, 11:00 am-4:00 pm – Navy Base Pt. Loma
About San Diego Fleet Week Foundation
The non-profit, 501(c)(3) foundation is funded solely through the generosity of private contributions.